Elmwood park dating
In the early 21st century, Bridgeport has taken steps toward redevelopment of its downtown and other neighborhoods.
In 2004, artists' lofts were developed in the former Read's Department Store on Broad Street.
(It has since been blasted through for construction of an expressway.) The Golden Hill Indians were granted a reservation here by the Colony of Connecticut in 1639; it lasted until 1802.
(One of the tribe acquired land for a small reservation in the late 19th century that was recognized by the state.
Bridgeport made numerous efforts at revitalization. In one proposal, Las Vegas developer Steve Wynn was to build a large casino, but that project failed.
In 1991, the city filed for bankruptcy protection but was declared solvent by a federal court.
The town incorporated to subsidize the Housatonic Railroad and rapidly industrialized following the rail line's connection to the New York and New Haven railroad. Barnum was a resident of the city and served as the town's mayor in the late 19th century.
and became the headquarters of Remington Arms following its 1912 merger with the Union Metallic Cartridge Co.In September 1978, Bridgeport teachers went on a 19-day strike due to deadlocked contract negotiations.A court order, as well as a state law that made strikes by public workers illegal in Connecticut, resulted in 274 teachers being arrested and jailed.In the 21st century, conversion of office and factory buildings to residential use, and other redevelopment is attracting new residents.The first documented English settlement within the present city limits of Bridgeport took place in 1644, centered at Black Rock Harbor and along North Avenue between Park and Briarwood avenues.